Yields: an 8-9 inch pie
For the pastry:
- 400g plain flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 250g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 tbsp of cold water, plus 1 egg for glazing
For the filling:
- 120g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp Koepoe Koepoe Cinnamon Powder
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 600g cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Make the pastry by placing flour, sugar and lemon zest in a big bowl. Rub in the butter until the the dough becomes crumbly. Add the beaten egg and mix until a dough is formed. Set aside 1/3 of the pastry for the lid.
- Roll out the remaining pastry on a lightly floured surface into a disc which is about 2 inches larger than the pie dish. Lift the pastry over with a rolling pin and lower it gently into the pie dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180degrees.
- For the filling, mix the sugar, Koepoe Koepoe Cinnamon Powder and cornflour in a large bowl. Stir in the apples.
- Place the apple filling into the pie dish and brush the rim of the dish with the egg reserved for glazing.
- Roll out the pastry for the lid and cover the pie with the pastry. Trim the excess and press the edges firmly to seal. Make a few small holes in the centre of the pie and glaze the top with the remaining egg.
- Sprinkle the pie with sugar and bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown.
Products Featured In This Recipe